Sunday, January 13, 2008

A day to remember


Today is a very special day in our family. January 13th 2008 would've been my mom's 52nd birthday. It seems like she is still with us but another part of me feels like she's been gone for so long. Sometimes I wonder if I'd remember her voice, her touch, or her smell. I think about all that she is missing with the kids. And I'm so thankful that she was able to be with Loren those first few days of her life. My mom would've been a hands on grandma. To the point of distraction for me ... but she would've been with us as often as she could. I think that she'd be thrilled with the girly girlness of Loren since she never had that with me. Colin would bring lots of smilies and I'm sure he'd have stolen a special place in her heart just like he's done with all of us. Quinn ... being the "baby" would've been different. He's so much like Shawn...and she adored Shawn. It truly is like having a smaller version of him running around. Her heart would be full of love. I hope she's proud of what her "kids" have accomplished with our own family. I hope she looks down at us and misses and loves us as much as we miss and love her. Happy Birthday Mom. We love you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nicole - All of your kids illustrate some trait of your mother's. Loren's early obsession with cleaning and the way she does not let you get away with anything. Your mom would love watching her torture you! And of course she has your mom's ears (okay, not everything is good!) Colin has your mom's goofiness and love of laughter. So far Quinn has your mom's impish look in his eye. Can't wait to see what else he develops from her. As you can see, your mom is always around you in some unique way!

Anonymous said...

Oh.... what a touching post. I will never forgot your mom. Or her birthday for that. Kaite (Val's daughter) was born on her birthday. What a great lady she was!!! I never forgot my days I use to spend with you guys when we was younger after you guys moved up North.

beth said...

I know I am late with posting a comment on this ... but I agree with the other posts here. Your Mom does live on through you and your kids. She is not one who could ever be forgotten and I know she is looking down at you and your family and laughing her ass off!